Sunday, May 10, 2009

Warning: This post may make you uncomfortable...

Today is the second Sunday in May. Here in the US, that means it's Mother's Day. Meant to be a day to celebrate television's/movies'/media's perfect, loving "Mother" figure. Why so much pressure? If you aren't, or don't have, the perfect mother, you're forced on this one day to essentially give your mother a pass.

Don't get me wrong. I don't have a bad mother. She's pretty good as far as mothers go. But I'd like to do sweet gestures and phone calls throughout the year, and not be made to feel bad if I don't send flowers or buy a card on the Second Sunday of May.


That's why I think it's time to do away with Mother's Day. (Father's Day, too, for many of the same reasons.) Or at the very least how about we re-work it? Not sure how, but I'm taking suggestions!
Think about it. There are actually a lot of women who hate mother's day. Those who are Infertile. Multiple Miscarriages. Otherwise Childless (not by choice). Those who've had toxic mothers and survived. Those who've lost wonderful mothers. Women who've given child/ren for adoption. Women who've *lost children*! My gawd, how do they stand the day?!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Okay..I love you mom! Lol, its late, but still I love you.