Thursday, May 7, 2009

UFO sighting!

It *was* a UFO, but now it's a quilt! The top of this quilt was pieced over a year ago. It started life as an alphabet panel. I cut apart all the letters and the stars, added sashing and some tiny little novelty prints. It's a super cute Alphabet I Spy quilt now!

The colors are loads of fun. That bright green and the black? Very much like Leith's bedroom (bright green walls, white trim, black dresser and crib/toddler bed). The quilt has so many fun, bright colors that it's going to be a wall hanging in said toddler's room!

front - Alphabet I Spy


There's a stash game going on over at Sewing Mamas, so it was the perfect time to pull out a UFO and get to work! I've been admiring the pieced backings on so many lovely quilts that I decided to try it out for myself. Must say, I was wavering there after it was pieced. Too much somehow? Too *something* anyway. But I know that lots of things 'quilt out' so decided to go with it. I am so glad I did!

detail of back (3) - Alphabet I Spy

I *love* the backing. Love it. It's got almost a rainbow effect, which I hadn't anticipated. The binding, orange with tiny white dots, really sets it off.

It's quilted in a grid...approximately 1/4" inside each letter block, both north/south and east/west, to the inside of the orange border, then one line through the middle of the larger, outer border. Used black thread on both sides. That was a hard choice. I knew it would show in the pieced back, and initially it looked a little harsh. But it was definitely the best choice.

So. What do you think? Is it a keeper?

k

No comments: